Tuscan Poached Walleye
- 1 lb walleye fillets, deboned
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 can (30 oz) Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) Italian-style diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup water
- In one skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add 2 tsp garlic and 2 tsp rosemary. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes with juice, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and keep warm while fish is cooking.
- While the first skillet is simmering, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in second skillet. Add 2 tsp garlic and 2 tsp rosemary. Cook for one minute.
- Pour liquid from skillet 1 into skillet 2, add 1/2 cup water, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fish to skillet 2 and spoon hot liquid over each piece for 2 minutes. Flip fish and repeat. Cover for 2 more minutes or until fish is fully cooked (internal temperature should reach 145° F).
- Divide bean mixture among serving plates, and top with fish and poaching juice. Serve immediately.
Tips for Deboning Fish
For more information about this recipe, including a video version with tips for deboning fish, visit Michigan Sea Grant’s Freshwater Feast blog.