Dry Brine Smoked Rainbow Trout
- 2 lbs rainbow trout fillets
- 6 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper/paprika
- Mix the brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Rub the dry brine on fillets and place fillets in a glass baking dish making sure the fish is totally surrounded and covered in the dry brine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-6 hours.
- Rinse the fish thoroughly and let set it in a cool dry place for 1-3 hours. A tacky patina will form on the surface of the fillets.
- Smoke for 2-5 hours at a gradually increasing temperature, starting at 140 F and increasing it by 20 F every hour.
- Leave the smoker at 180 F for the final 2 hours. The fish needs to have a minimum internal temperature of 145 F.
For Extra Flavor
Brush your favorite glaze on the fillets every time you raise the temperature.